Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bi-Rite Creamery

Salty ice cream? You bet. I'm a big fan of sweet-salty snacks: kettle corn, apples and brie, melon and salt, maple bacon donuts....wait, that's a whole other post to talk about!)  

I discovered the salted caramel ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery when I first moved to SF and I've been a changed woman ever since. For the better. But your tastebuds will be ruined for all other ice creams.



There is even a cake version! We picked up this decadent chocolate cake with salted caramel mousse at Bi-Rite Market down the street:


There are some seasonal changes in flavors but for the most part, the menu stays consistent. Although Mr.S sorely misses his Fresh Cream ice cream from seasons past.


Sampling is a must!


Service: In spite of the massive lines, the staff is so friendly. Who wouldn't be if you worked around such delicious treats all day? Although if I worked there, I'd probably be let go the first day after they found me face down in a vat of salted caramel....

Ambiance: Smells like sugar! Small, but recently expanded next door. There is now soft serve! Limited flavors depending on the day of the week. On popular weekend evenings, spend anywhere up to 20-30 minutes in line.

Other Flavors: Strawberry balsamic (**hand trembling..), honey lavender (I am personally not a fan, but some swear by this), earl gray tea (tastes just like the real thing!), toffee chip cookies, coffee toffee ice cream cake (the crunchy toffee bits are the standout)

Important: Pick up a frequent-buyer card, and you can get your 10th ice cream scoop for free! And take home a pint for $7- pricey but worth the value.

Hours: Sun-Thurs until 10pm, Fri-Sat open late until 11pm

Bi-Rite Creamery
3692 18th Street
(at Dolores)
San Francisco, CA


Bi-Rite Creamery and Bake Shop on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

bazza said...

Hi. It's a pity I live in the UK; that ice cream place looks very yummy! I have good memories of SF.
I love the photography in the previous post, especially the way it has soft focus and sharp focus mixed. Did you take the pictures?
Nice blog; I will come back.